Google

Friday, October 27, 2006

SMU Student Intern Scores It Big

Singapore, Singapore Management University - Students from the Singapore Management University (SMU) are required to go through a 10-week internship program with companies in order to graduate. Many students gave feedback that it was a wonderful opportunity to peek into the real corporate world and it served as a stepping stone for them.

Daniel, a 4th year management undergraduate, did his internship with Singapore's third largest 5-start hotel, the Pan Pacific Singapore during his summer term last year. As a Marketing and Corp Comm major student, he landed himself with the Human Resource department instead.

"I liked the hospitality industry. I think it is a mistake to let your major determine what you want to experience in, for example, an internship. I see it that I get to experience a whole new thing altogether. A hotel, and HR, which is new to me," said the proud student ,"In fact, I would say many of my skills was relevant in the HR department!"

While many students complained about doing basic jobs like photocopying during their course of internship, Daniel comments, "I did those mundane jobs but I did them well. They are like foundation. How do you do engineering if you never learn about arithmethic?" "In the end, I did great things like taking over the Internal Communications, planning staff events and even took part in the office renovation projects!"

Daniel also boasted how he even found time to speak to guests and even followed a chinese guests around Marina to buy a phonecard. "I truely immerse myself in the hotel's philosophy about genuine care! I felt empowered even though I am an intern, and so I walked out during office hour to show him around Marina. In the end, he offered to host me should I go to Beijing!"

Ask about his overall experience, Daniel says "I felt totally great. I loved the hotel. I loved my department. I had chance to even sit in a management trainee presentation, all because they trusted me and said I earned it." Daniel was ultimately presented a Testimonial from his Director, and also given a special bonus by the Hotel. He even recieved a Letter of Appreciation by the General Manager for a job well done during a staff event.

- Reporting by J. Lucas and additional reporting by Maylene

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home